klineka [at] buffalostate.edu
Psychological and social well being, social justice issues, student learning outcomes/assessment, graduate student socialization experiences, student development theory and professional development.
Social justice issues, student learning outcomes, assessment/evaluation, professional preparation/development, social/philosophical foundations, multiculturalism, research methods, counseling and student development theory.
August 2009—present Associate Professor, Higher Education Administration Department, SUNY College at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
August 2007—August 2009 Assistant Professor, Higher Education Administration Department, SUNY College at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
October 2005—August 2007 Director, Institutional Research and Planning, Associate Professor of Social Sciences, Hilbert College, Hamburg, New York
January 2001—June 2002 Participant, IUPUI Preparing Future Faculty Program, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana.
July 2003—October 2005 Research Fellow, Center of Inquiry in the Liberal Arts Wabash College. Crawfordsville, Indiana
2001—2003 Dissertation Research: The Use of Action Theories, Social Justice Issues and Reflection in a Student Affairs Master’s Course
2000—2001 Researcher, Department of Higher Education and Student Affairs Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
May 2000—July 2001 Research Associate, Office of the Vice Chancellor For Planning and Institutional Improvement, Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis
Research Methods in Higher Education, Instructor, Spring 2008—Present
Assessment, Tests and Measurement, Instructor, Fall 2007—Present
Moral Reasoning in Higher Education, Instructor, Spring 2009; Spring 2011; Spring 2012
Counseling II Theory, Instructor, Fall 2007; Spring 2008; Fall 2008
Applied Statistics with Project, Co-Instructor, Spring 2007
Research Methods in the Social Sciences, Instructor, Fall 2006
Professional Education and Development in Student Affairs, Co-Instructor, Spring 2002
Professional Education and Development, Co-Instructor, Fall 2000
Assessing the Effectiveness of Courses, Programs, and Institutions, Teaching Assistant, Summer, 2001
Leadership Development Honors Course, Instructor, Fall 1997; Spring 1998
Facilitation Styles and Techniques, Instructor, Fall, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
• Fulbright Scholar, National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy (NaUKMA). Student Learning and Developmental Outcomes Assessment in Ukraine: Exploring Grass Roots Efforts and Collaborative Dialogue, 2012-2013 Grantee.
• Race and Gender Intergroup Dialogue: Examining the Pedagogical, Psychological and Communicative Processes That Influence Student Learning and Development. Faculty Student Association Founders Fund Grant, 2010. (1,950.00)
• CDHS Foster Care Trainer Development within an Online Interactive Environment: Strategies for Pre-Assessing Foster Care Trainee Needs, Part II, 2009 (1,600.00)
• Foster Care Trainer Development within an Online Interactive Environment: Strategies for Pre Assessing Foster Care Trainee Needs in New York State. Center for the Development of Human Services, 2009 (2,000.00).
• A Conversation on Assessment in Higher Education and Student Affairs at Buffalo State. Faculty Student Association Founders Fund Grant, 2009 (2,150.00)
• The Impact of Using Reflection, Action Theories and Social Justice Issues in a Graduate Course: Five Years Later – Incentive Research Grant – Buffalo State Research Foundation, 2008 (6,500.00)
2010 United University Professions Professional Development Award Reflection, action theories, and social justice issues in a student affairs master’s course: Long-term effects of a case study intervention (700.00)
2010 Buffalo State College Provost’s Incentive Award Generation O Students: How an Undergraduate Student Culture Influences Student Learning Outcomes (1,200.00)
2010 Buffalo State Outstanding Faculty Award
Books Under Contract
• Kline, K. (under review). Reflection in action: A guidebook for faculty and student affairs professionals. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
• Moore Gardner, M., Kline, K. & Bresciani, M. (under review). Assessing student learning in community college student support and academic services. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
• Livingston, V., Phillips, D. & Kline, K. Selecting a Method. (Under review). In M. Moore Gardner, K. A. Kline, & M. Bresciani (Eds.), Assessing Student Learning in Community College Student Support and Academic Services. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
• Battison, J., Kline, K. A., & Piper, B. T. Analyzing and Interpreting Results in Community College Assessment. (Under review). In M. Moore Gardner, K. A. Kline, & M. Bresciani (Eds.), Assessing Student Learning in Community College Student Support and Academic Services. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.•
• Black, K. & Kline, K. (2002). Program review: A spectrum of perspectives and practices. In T. W. Banta (Ed.), The scholarship of assessment. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
• St. John, E., Kline, K., & Asker, E. (2001). The call for public accountability: Rethinking the linkages to student outcomes. In D. Heller (Ed.), The states and public higher education policy: Affordability, access, and accountability. Baltimore: Johns-Hopkins Press.
• Kline, K. (2008). Book review of Diversity across the curriculum: A guide for faculty in higher education. The Review of Higher Education.
• Kline, K. Developing Practical Experience in Student Affairs. Readings on Equal Education. Volume 28: Supporting graduate students in the 21st Century: Implications for policy and practice. AMS Press, Inc.: New York. (Will be under review in May, 2013).
• Kline, K. (2007) Professional development in student affairs: From learning about diversity to building just communities. Readings on Equal Education. Volume 22: Confronting educational inequality: Reframing, building understanding, and making change. AMS Press, Inc.: New York.
• Kline, K. and others (2006). How should journalists measure learning outcomes? A roundtable discussion. In G. Maeroff (ed.). Beyond the rankings: Measuring learning in higher education. The Hechinger Institute on Education and the Media, Teachers College, Columbia University.
• Kline, K. & Blaich, C. (2004). A new tool for liberal arts assessment. Liberal Arts Online 4 (8) September.
• Banta, T., Black, K., & Kline, K. (2001). Evidence for and against Problem-Based Learning. PBL Insight Volume 3, 3. Birmingham, AL: Samford University.
• Banta, T., Black, K., & Kline, K. (2001). The challenge to assess outcomes in student affairs. Net Results, August 28, 2001. NASPA on-line magazine.
Manuscripts Under Development
• Kline, K, Internicola, J., Moore Gardner, M., MacDonald, J. & Coleman, M. R. Exploring connections between Generation O students and assessing student learning outcomes. Submitting January, 2013.
• Felder, P., St. John, E. P., Moore, T. L., Kline, K. A., Gentry, D. Professional Learning in Graduate Programs: Implications for Teaching and Practice. Submitting February, 2013.
Research & Practice in Assessment, Assistant Editor, December 2012 – present.
Research & Practice in Assessment, Editorial Board Member, February, 2012 – present.
CSPA-NYS Journal, Editorial Board Member, July, 2011 – present.
July 2001—July 2002 Academic Support Coordinator, Forest Academic Support Center, Residential Programs and Services, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
July 1998—May 2000 Assistant Coordinator, Forest Residence Center Residential Programs and Services, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Summer 1999 Dean of Residence Life Center for Talented Youth, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
July 1994—July 1998 Assistant Director of Student Activities/Greek Advisor, Office of Student Activities, State University of New York College at Brockport, Brockport, New York
June 1993—July 1994 Manager-Student Union I, Office of University Unions and Student Activities, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
July 1991—July 1993 Graduate Assistant, Operations Manager/Program Advisor, Office of Student Activities/Student Union, State University of New York College at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
July 1991—July 1998 Facilitator, Creativentures, Buffalo, New York
May 1989—November 1990 Regional Manager, Office of Appraisal Services, Lenders Service, Inc., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Association for the Study of Higher Education
Association of College Personnel Administrators
American Educational Research Association
Association for Institutional Research
Association of College Unions/International (ACUI)
Genesee District Coordinator ~ ACUI (1996-1998)
Northeast Association for Institutional Research
National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
National Conference Planning Committee – 2000
College Student Personnel Administrators-New York State (CSPA-NYS)